Wednesday, September 6, 2023

My heart belongs in Maine

The Ghost Trains were what we were basing our adventure around, it was the "maine" goal really. Of course they'd be located in Maine everything I love and enjoy so much always seems to be there. No complaints here.

Knowing anything could go wrong, because yikes! (read previous post) I didnt get too upset just incase there were other things we could not get to, I was use to it by now since I had been crossing off all week long and basically finagling for months because I knew it would be different this year.

In the back of my mind I just kept thiking, atleast I'll be in Maine, I know sooo many amazing things and can make an adventure out of any situation. I was just trying to be sure it wasn't extremely crazy... remember broken truck and not driving my own vehicle

I just wanted to get there, to those trains, i'd deal with whatever else after.

Well it was a success, I got to see my trains... and then some...

Upon arrival to a check point (so far deep in the forest you would never believe any sign of life was possible after what we had driven in for the past... who knows how many hours) no one was in this little cabin so we had very clear directions for a phone call (you need to check in and out if you value your life) From what we had seen on these logging roads we expected the person who would answer this phone at 4 something in the morning to be very grumpy. Because who else would be out there than hard working loner older men who hate anything and everything that is not those north woods. I do not blame them really and I was ready to kill them with kindness... HA! I didn't make the call, NOPE! I drove! you make the call guy lol (but i was ready to rip the phone away if i needed to ha!) Well, I was pleasantly surprised as I could hear quite well (echoing old phone, ah the memories!) It was the kindest woman's voice I had ever heard at 4 something in the morning, ready to pick up on the first ring. That calmed all the nerves and helped us know we were right and well on our way from following all of these old school directions.

When we came back out we debated if we were to nap a little bit in safety or continue going. We looked up at the sky and what we saw next made up our minds... THE MILKY WAY!!! I saw the friggin' Milky Way with my own eyes, I was exhausted but ready to go and for a moment I wondered what was going on, I couldnt even come up with the name, I almost said something along the lines of northern lights and something else. I'm like how in the heck am I seeing it with the naked eye, what I have only seen in photos on outer space websites or weird generated photos, well mind blown and speechless I got back in the vehicle (which was a FORD by the way)

We wanted to photograph it, however there was 1 porch light I wanted to avoid, I should of just driven a little past the check point and pulled over for the photo however everything out there minus that little cabin was quite terrifying (I mean I had just almost killed a friggin' Mountain Lion a few miles back) Someone screamed cat and I slammed on the breaks, still moving the wheel back and forth going nowhere lol (wish i could demo that here) as I had driven hours of bumps and I literally thought a cat ha! ha! looked like Loaf and hello give me a break lol.

We still had a ways to go and I really wanted to get to those trains to be ready for first moment of light to hike, so I thought we could photograph it at the point we would have to leave the vehicle before hiking in. Sadly the skies changed and got cloudy. I was so disappointed in myself, I document everything and seem to always have proof of my stories. Ah well this one I was just going to have to let it go and learn but holy crap I SAW THE MILKY WAY WITH MY UNASSISTED EYES AHHH!!! EPIC!!!

When we pulled up to where we could go no more I was scared to turn off the vehicle ha! That comes from an old October adventure on a logging road. When I did though my ears were ringing and my body still shaking, then uncontrollable giggles ensued, so I did not get the 1½ hour nap I could of and that's ok because WOW! was that ever a wild adventure to get there


Here's that TRANS CANADA sign I mentioned in prior post

No comments:

Post a Comment